Proposal to hide raw QML errors in Plasma Next

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Apr 21 22:53:47 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 11:08 PM, Giorgos Tsiapaliokas <
giorgos.tsiapaliokas at kde.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I also like the more user friendly ui errors.
>
> On Thursday 17 of April 2014 17:49:35 Aleix Pol wrote:
> > +1, I would like to add though that we should probably adopt a 0 qDebug
> > policy as well.
> >
> > It's useful to have them when working on a feature, but having things
> like:
> > plasma_shell(27403)/(systemtray) SystemTray::Task::setStatus: ST2 status
> > changed  2
> > plasma_shell(27403)/(qml) onCompleted: WindowModel(0x4cd9a50)
> >
> > Is random and makes it harder to debug the actual problems.
> >
> > Aleix
>
> If we have 0 debug output how does this makes it easier?
> The existing debug output, if you filter it gives some hints about
> what is going on, IMO this is very useful. No?
>
> In Qt 5.3 there is an way to filter the output *without* changing the
> source
> code of the application. Here is an example,
> if you are using qC* for logging and your category is named "foo" then you
> can
> filter the output by doing
>
> $ export QT_LOGGING_CONF=/home/bob/rulesWhatEverName
> $ plasma-shell
>
>  the rulesWhatEverName file must contain something like
>
> [Rules]
> * = false #hide all the output
> foo = true #show only the output for my project
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> thanks,
> Giorgos
>
> --
> Giorgos Tsiapaliokas (terietor)
>
> terietor.org

You know what's going on by checking what the code is doing.

Can you imagine how life would be if QString class started to output
information "so that you know what's going on"?

We add output if something weird is happening so that the user sees it,
like QML which gives us valuable information of what's going wrong. Then we
have random output information that somebody, some day, decided to push to
our codebase.

Aleix