Proposal to hide raw QML errors in Plasma Next

Giorgos Tsiapaliokas giorgos.tsiapaliokas at kde.org
Thu Apr 17 21:08:30 UTC 2014

Hello,

I also like the more user friendly ui errors.

On Thursday 17 of April 2014 17:49:35 Aleix Pol wrote:
> +1, I would like to add though that we should probably adopt a 0 qDebug
> policy as well.
>
> It's useful to have them when working on a feature, but having things like:
> plasma_shell(27403)/(systemtray) SystemTray::Task::setStatus: ST2 status
> changed  2
> plasma_shell(27403)/(qml) onCompleted: WindowModel(0x4cd9a50)
>
> Is random and makes it harder to debug the actual problems.
>
> Aleix

If we have 0 debug output how does this makes it easier?
The existing debug output, if you filter it gives some hints about
what is going on, IMO this is very useful. No?

In Qt 5.3 there is an way to filter the output *without* changing the source
code of the application. Here is an example,
if you are using qC* for logging and your category is named "foo" then you can
filter the output by doing

$ export QT_LOGGING_CONF=/home/bob/rulesWhatEverName
$ plasma-shell

 the rulesWhatEverName file must contain something like

[Rules]
* = false #hide all the output
foo = true #show only the output for my project

Am I missing something?

thanks,
Giorgos

--