Continued: milou/kickoff/whatever menu

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Thu Apr 17 14:40:03 UTC 2014

> > Btw: I've talked to Vishesh about this at the KTp sprint. Another
> > alternative we think might work is to have Kickoff reserved only to
> > launching applications (so a "search" there would only filter on
> > applications, nothing more) and an integrated Milou/Krunner in the panel
>
> again, this doesn't solve the fact of having two searches explicitly
> visible. How is less cognitively demanfing
>  "well, if it's an application and i know where it is it's the bottom-left,
> oh, but i can also search for it, but wait, i wanted to search for something
> else, therefore is this second icon, that has a similar look and interactin,
> but for some reason, has a different set of results"

I 100% agree with Marco.

And what I write below is not a counter-argument, just a problem that needs to
be sorted out somehow.

The (only? :) ) problem with kickoff is that it mostly does show only
applications inside, so people might find it strange that it returns non-
application results.

With Lancelot, that was not a problem (it has problems of its own) because it
already shows a lot of different things, so the fact that the search results
can even feed your kitten is not a surprise.

Cheerio,
Ivan

p.s. I almost got into the 'we need something completely new' mode of thought,
but I don't want to go offtopic now. :)

--
So much complexity in software comes from trying to make
one thing do two things.