Visual design for logout/login/lockscreen

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Mon Apr 7 10:07:55 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 11:35 AM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 07 April 2014, David Edmundson wrote:
>> I need to make a login screen based on Plasma 2 components regardless.
>> I think it's worth going for.
>>
>> I started writing some QML up yesterday; but I have some problems with
>> doing in the white text/icons on a dark background in a manner that
>> doesn't horribly suck.
>>

> text should work fine as long as is Label (buttons and lineedits should just
> stay as they are)
> so Label {
>         color: theme.backgroundColor
> }
> and that's it.
>
> for icons, unfortunately thay need to have inverted color themselves, at least
> at the moment
> so it can be either:
> * in icons the file login.svgz contains all the needed icon files, but they
> are all inverted, therefore won't be possible to use them elsewhere

This would suck; for developers we'd have a random potluck of whether
an icon can be seen or not. Theme developers would also have to draw
to a somewhat arbitrary mix of colours.

> * or, there would be a single svg file for the whole login/logout thing, so it
> contains more the stuff with inverted colors in one single file, also the
> icons would be elements of that file (wouldn't be possible to use IconItem,
> but a normalSvgItem would have to be used... who cares ;)

I care a bit. For some we want to use ToolButton so it's clear it's a
clickable item - or we at least need to react on mouseover somehow.
Again, I can hardcode it, but we start to lose flexibility and will
have angry designers coming at us later in the future.

David