[kde-promo] Plasma Next Alpha release notes

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 19:26:35 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 8:18 PM, Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 April 2014 13:10:42 Martin Klapetek wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 1:04 PM, Martin Klapetek
>>
>> <martin.klapetek at gmail.com>wrote:
>> > Plus the idea with "by KDE" was to be only this additional touch, it
>> > shouldn't really be mentioned/used as the "new name", so I'd rather
>> > change
>> > the name as "Plasma Next Alpha 1, by KDE" or similar, but not put the
>> > "Plasma by KDE" as the new name.
>>
>> More on this^: we used the "Glade by Brise" as an example, look at the
>> image: http://b.vimeocdn.com/ts/440/417/440417391_640.jpg
>>
>> this is how it was intended to be used, sort of "below" the name Plasma,
>> the "by KDE" part should have less weight than the "Plasma" part and be
>> there just to keep the connection, but shouldn't be used as the new
>> standalone name.
>
> After reading, I decided I agreed with you, and wrote both a short sentence
> in the introduction:
> Plasma Next is planned to be released as 2014.06 on the 17th of June.
> And a longer, separate one later on:
> A note on versioning and naming: The code name "Plasma Next" always points to
> the upcoming release of Plasma. The current Alpha will be 2014.06, released
> in June of this year. If the team opts for a 6 month release cycle (still to
> be determined) Plasma Next will mean 2014.12 once 2014.06 is out.
>
> Check the article and tell me what you think:
> http://dot.kde.org/2014/04/02/kde-releases-alpha-version-next-gen-plasma-workspace
>
> Feedback welcome.

The last image "New Activities chooser" is broken. Thumbnail works,
clicking it doesn't.

Also, for a video of the alpha. I really think that it should be
recorded again with - at the very least - the content of buttons
aligned properly. Right now the buttons (in that video) have a weird
text alignment.

I know it's just alpha and probbaly fixed in the current plasme
branches anyhow, but it would just give a better impression if there
are no obvious visual glitches in the demonstration video.

Just my 5 cents.