4.11 is out .. kde-workspace to qt5?

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Sep 16 21:16:42 UTC 2013

On Monday, September 16, 2013 18:28:15 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday, September 16, 2013 16:39:09 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > I think this should not only affect kde-workspace, but also kde-runtime
> > and
> > kdeplasma-addons. Objections to applying the same procedure here? (They
> > both
> i object to touching either repository at this point:
>
> * kde-runtime: we should require nothing from kde-runtime in Plasma 2; that
> means we don’t need to touch it. everything should go either into plasma-
> framework or into kde-workspace

There's a bunch of KIO slaves in there which we need. The thumbnailer sticks
out, for example, as without it, we're not getting any previews in, for
example the wallpaper configuration.

It doesn't sound like something for kde-workspace to me.

> *  kdeplasma-addons: until we have kde-workspace sorted, i don’t think it
> makes any sense to extend the reach of this to kdeplasma-addons. let people
> who work on those non-essential addons to do so on the 4.x codebase. once
> kde- workspace is fully sorted out, then we can move on to dealing with
> kdeplasma- addons. i actually expect that kdeplasma-addons will disappear
> entirely as a natural result of rethinking what we do in kde-workspace.

I'm OK with that. I think we're doing quite well in focusing effort on the
really needed bits, but as you say, there's nothing essential in there anyway,
so we might as well leave that for later.

sebas