4.11 is out .. kde-workspace to qt5?

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Sep 5 15:55:26 UTC 2013

On Thursday 05 September 2013 17:32:01 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi all ...
>
> so, Plasma Workspaces 4.11.1 is out. lots of Qt5/KF5 porting is happening in
> the various repo branches, which is awesome, and we had previously
> discussed switching over master of kde-workspace to KF5 to ease this
> process.
>
> this email is intended to do 2 things:
>
> 1) if you have objections to doing this, say so now or forever hold your
> peace
>
> 2) build a TODO list of what needs doing
>
> so .. things that need doing:
>
> Pre-switch tasks:
>
> * the CMakeLists.txt needs to output a usefully verbose error message when
> it only finds kdelibs 4.x and not kf5.
>
> * we need to test with the latest version of kdesrc-build and make it do the
> right thing by choosing the 4.11 branch by default
>

> Switch tasks:
>
> * merge the frameworks branch into master
* ensure that KDE/4.11 is completely merged into master. I would go KDE/4.11 -
> master -> frameworks -> master. We need to make sure that we don't lose
commits (at least kwin has quite a lot which are not yet present in
frameworks)

> Post-switch tasks:
>
> * host an open online meeting going through the existing projects that exist
> in kde-workspace and derive a proposal to bring back here as to how we
> would like to (iteratively) reshape the kde-workspace module
>

> there has to be more than 4 items on that list, right? :)
* inform release team to not create tarballs from master.
* blog about it to tell people about the changes (and how to build the stable
branch)

Cheers
Martin