4.11 is out .. kde-workspace to qt5?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Sep 5 15:32:01 UTC 2013

hi all ...

so, Plasma Workspaces 4.11.1 is out. lots of Qt5/KF5 porting is happening in
the various repo branches, which is awesome, and we had previously discussed
switching over master of kde-workspace to KF5 to ease this process.

this email is intended to do 2 things:

1) if you have objections to doing this, say so now or forever hold your peace

2) build a TODO list of what needs doing

so .. things that need doing:

Pre-switch tasks:

* the CMakeLists.txt needs to output a usefully verbose error message when it
only finds kdelibs 4.x and not kf5.

* we need to test with the latest version of kdesrc-build and make it do the
right thing by choosing the 4.11 branch by default

Switch tasks:

* merge the frameworks branch into master

Post-switch tasks:

* host an open online meeting going through the existing projects that exist
in kde-workspace and derive a proposal to bring back here as to how we would
like to (iteratively) reshape the kde-workspace module

there has to be more than 4 items on that list, right? :)