naming the next major release

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Sep 5 11:25:33 UTC 2013

On 20.08.2013 07:06, Martin Graesslin wrote:
> I do want to promote KWin for the usage in LXDE/Razor as in the next version
> we will hardly have any build-time dependencies from frameworks higher than
> tier1. I'm concerned that a generic name "Plasma" would work against that as
> it would be difficult to communicate that although being part of Plasma not
> being part of Plasma. If someone has a good idea on how to properly
> communicate this without being confusing (especially for users who want the
> lightweight aspect of LXDE and Plasma is for people in that user group
> unfortunately the definition of bloat) I consider this as a non-blocking issue
> for the naming.

It's not called "Plasma KWin", is it? I'd just market KWin as KWin to
other DEs. Yes, it also is part of Plasma, but you can get it as a
standalone window manager as well. Besides, I don't think that calling
it "Plasma Workspaces" would help with that, anyway. You'd still have to
make clear that KWin can be used without the rest of the workspaces.

> We should also think about what the name would mean for bug reporting. We
> don't want that all bugs for everything what is in kde-workspaces nowadays
> ends up in the component plasma.

True. we'd need a distinct name for only the shell. Again, though, I
don't think distinguishing between "Plasma Workspaces" and "Plasma" (as
in "the shell") would be much less confusing.
So to avoid this confusion, I guess we'd either have to give the
workspace (including KWin and everything) a completely different name or
give the shell a different name (or at least a more specific name inside
bugzilla).