Introducing Milou

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Thu Sep 5 11:24:15 UTC 2013

> i tried something like that back in the days in active for items in the file
> browser, main containment etc.

I remember that one. I'm not (yet) proposing to have different delegates per
different type (I'd need a good use-case + great ui design to consider that).

> one thing that comes to mind tough, is if we can't even agree on the
> framework, that people keep reinventing almost identical ones, how could we
> agree on a standard set of components for delegates, where people have have
> even more opinions? :p

Well, everyone has either a list, or a icon grid, so it is an implicit
agreement on the delegates. If someone doesn't like a default delegate (for
example Lancelot which will need the no-click ones), a custom one can be
provided.

What I think we need (not only for this) are more advanced and versatile
components. From my pov, our current situation of providing only bare ones is
the reason for the lack of number of custom-made plasmoids.

As an example, if somebody wanted to create a plasmoid that lists all the
bookmarks tagged with the current activity, it would not be that easy. IMO,
this should be achievable in 3 lines. (something that I'm planning to have
with the new shelf)

Ch

--
Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those
of us who do.