documentation on QMLSceneGraph internals

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 09:38:17 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 03 September 2013, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi all...
>
> you may have already seen this on qt blogs, but if not i highly recommend
> reading:
>
> http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/qt5-dev/qtquick/qtquick-visualcanvas-sce
> negraph-renderer.html
>
> the section on performance is going to be particularly useful .. we’ll need
> to scan our QML for inappropriate use of features such as clipping and run
> some profiled runs to see how we are doing for things like batched /
> opaque draws.

i'm not sure how to read the output of QSG_RENDER_TIMING=1, but i think on
that area we are doing quite fine (apart resizing of framesvgs that may use
some optimizations probably)
that is also another of the many advantages of using standardized components
and sticking with it: for instance we have clip enabled only on
PlasmaExtras.ScrollArea and that's it (and plasmoids should normally never
have to touch that, we have to ensure tough that default plasmoids are written
with a certain amount of discipline)

what i am more concerned about, that may be worth benchmarking and optimizing
is limiting as much as possible the number of objects created, having in qml
as less elements declared as possible and having as much as possible created
on demand only when needed, that will impact a lot on both startup time and
memory usage, real and perceived

> am i the only one who gets more and more excited about Plasma on top of Qt
> 5?
>
> :) nah, can’t be, looking at the commit log recently ;)

"think about the possibilities!"
just did and oh, man :)

--
Marco Martin