on Activities on Plasma2

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Oct 30 15:29:01 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 16:08:04 Ivan Čukić wrote:
> I don't have an issue with kamd providing the template information, but I
> don't like the idea of it having to actually deal with the template
> handling. If plasma is creating containments based on the template, some
> other part of the system can handle the application execution. (and an
> often requested feature - per-activity .kde/Autostart)

this is exactly why i like storing the template data in kamd and not the
shell. it allows other processes to react to the template change also.
ksmserver (or whatever ends up doing its task in future) can handle the
session parts, and other processes can similar do what needs doing.

for instance, if we have a “Presentation Mode” activity template, PowerDevil
could have settings in the template that are appropriate for presentations
(turn off screen sleep), kscreen could set up multiple screens in a
presentation mode (e.g. not clone), and the desktop shell can put some
relevant applications (e.g. presentation apps) on the panel/desktop.