on Activities on Plasma2

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Wed Oct 30 15:08:04 UTC 2013

> * the activity manager daemon creates the activity, associeting the template
> identifier in the activity metadata (and doing operations that's probably
> better be done by the daemon, like starting/stopping applications)

I've kept the reply window open for a day now to have the time to think and
rethink.

I'm not sure whether kamd is the place for this (**this being application
control**).

We already have another part of the system that handles starting/stopping of
the applications in some cases (session stopping/restoring, is it handling the
.kde/Autostart as well?) - ksmserver.

I don't have an issue with kamd providing the template information, but I
don't like the idea of it having to actually deal with the template handling.
If plasma is creating containments based on the template, some other part of
the system can handle the application execution. (and an often requested
feature - per-activity .kde/Autostart)

If all else fails, it can become a plugin for kamd - I don't want to see
another disaster in the code-base like we had with encryption stuff - activity
switching depending on external process' success or failure, and handling
rollbacks on errors.

Cheerio,
Ivan

--
So remember when you're feeling very small and insecure
How amazingly unlikely is your birth