minutes Monday Plasma hangout

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Oct 14 13:32:15 UTC 2013

Hey,

As usual on Mondays, we get together and talk about the status and plans for
Plasma 2 while we work on it. I thought it'd be useful to share these things
on the mailing list, since not everybody can take part then. I'll try to do
that from now on.

Today's meeting:

[sebas]
* work on system tray progressing,
	- we can load Plasmoids (notifications and network management widgets
	currently), we get information about statusnotifier
	- there's currently some copied code in there, packageaccessmanager and
	urlinterceptor especially. Those will be moved into the PlasmaQuick library
	(which is fairly new), since it depends on QtQuick and plasma.
	- DBusMenuQt cmake rework needs upstreaming
	- x11embed systray not ported, needs investigation of viability, can
 	something move into Qt?
* network management widget:
	- Port is almost complete, libnm-qt builds, works, all tests pass,
	networkmanagement plasmoid loads and is functional
	- libmm-qt is partly ported, but in process of being ported to a new
	modemmanager

[aseigo]
* refactoring krunner
	- new classes with mostly the same API, uses QtConcurrent instead of
  	ThreadWeaver
	- new API will be more or less a superset of current API for easy porting

[afiestas]
* work on libsolid changes
	- everything async
	- power management and session management are getting more logically
	separated to prevent roundtrips and make it less error-prone
	- more use of logind and systemd in these scenarios
	- locking is in the scope of this as well, it should tie in with logind
	- startup procedure as well, evaluating systemd, systemk, startactive and
	various other solutions to bring up the workspace
* kded
	- kded should be able to run plugins in their own process
	- dbus activation vs. kded makes it easier to run apps that need kded-
	functionality outside of Plasma

[ivan]
* kactivities port almost ready, will land in the next days

[notmart]
* Panels
	- basic work done
	- "panel modes", e.g. autohide, windows cover, etc are missing

[mgraesslin]
* kde-workspace jenkins finally green again \o/
* focusing on window decorations right now, freeing from QWidget
* worked on apps setting the window theme (for special apps like photoeditors,
  krita)
* working on keyboard shortcuts

[terietor]
* Working on porting Plasmate
* plasmoidviewer is becoming useful, patch on RB

sebas