Review Request 113078: start porting systemmonitor, step 1 hwinfo applet

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Oct 4 12:45:24 UTC 2013

Hey,

On Friday, October 04, 2013 17:34:30 Bhushan Shah wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> * create a QML import that contains all of the monitors as individual QML
> items.
>
> Looks cool to me.. Will resultant QML import go into plasma-framework or
> kde-workspace?

kde-workspace. The import would be org.kde.systemmonitors (which means we'll
have to pay a bit of attention to the API, as it's public).

The individual pieces can go in smaller reviews, so that we incrementally
build the whole thing, and you don't have to hide away coding a tower of
babel, and  then come back just to notice that it needs refactoring.

> * create a stand-alone plasmoid that wraps those monitors
>
> Currently we provide individual system monitor as well as combined plasmoid,
> will it be same?

We'll have a series of plasmoids:

- Individual monitors, like the one you showed for hardware info. This one is
built around a SystemMonitor.HardwareInfo {} component (for example), which
comes from the import
- A combined one, which uses HardwareInfo, and others and combines them into
one widget.

> * design a way to allow the kind of scripting/control that we see in popular
> packages like conkie to allow re-use of these components; perhaps the best
> way to do this would be to provide a small designer tool that would let one
> define the order of components and what they should be showing which would
> then export a finished plasmoid implementing that design.
>
> Few days ago I had one project in my mind.. Konky (from Conky) which is
> plasma themed conky.. On which you can load conky scripts.. It's still idea
> and need implementation.. Need suggestion on this... :)

I'd say port the current one to individual components, create widgets with
that and see how far that brings us. If we get it right, the resulting (high-
level) QML for a new systemmonitor looks so clean, we don't need a way to
"configure" it. A GUI for creating systemmonitors might be nice, but
definitely not a priority for a first release of Plasma2.

sebas