No co-installability of plasma 1 and 2

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Nov 26 13:23:50 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 26 November 2013 12:23:18 Maximiliano Curia wrote:
> In article <25673324.XNmJUoyzAe at martin-desktop> you wrote:
> > in todays hangout Alex asked whether kwin binary is going to be renamed to
> > kwin5 to make it possible to co-install plasma 1 and plasma 2.
> >
> > My opinion of that is, that we don't need to have things co-installable.
> > After all kde-workspace doesn't provide libraries where it is useful to
> > have them co-installable. It's applications.
>
> What do you mean kde-workspace doesn't provide useful libraries? There are a
> number of third party applications that depend on them.
according to Debian package information we have the following libraries which
non-kde-workspace packages depend on:
* libkdecoration: useless as it requires KWin (Compiz case is no longer
supported since 4.11)
* libkephal: got deleted yesterday
* libkscreensaver5: either already deleted or should be deleted
* libksignalplotter4: no idea what it is, if useful should go into a framework
* libkworkspace4abi2: no idea why external packages use it. The frameworks 5
version doesn't look like it has anything of interest for external
applications  - Debian name indicates that it's a bad idea to use it
* libprocessui4a: probably should go into a framework. It's strange that
kdevelop depends on kde-workspace, isn't it ;-)
* libtaskmanager4abi3: the name of the library as adjusted by Debian should
indicate why it's a bad idea to use it outside kde-workspace. Only used inside
task applets, that should become a non-issue in Plasma 2
* libweather-ion6: same as taskmanager

There are a few more libraries, but all of them are either clearly "plasma"
(libplasmaclock) or only used inside kde-workspace module
> > Anybody who disagrees? Your arguments please :-)
>
> I think that this should be discussed in the packagers list, which will help
> to sync our points of views among different distributions.
I can take it there, but only if packagers are willing to do the work ;-) I
took it here to discuss whether we as the developers think that it is worth
the effort to provide plasma 1 and 2 at the same time. I think we have
agreement that co-installable plasma versions is not considered a valid use-
case by the developers. If distros think different, then we need help there.

That said: I would prefer that if at all the plasma 1 version gets adjusted. I
don't want to type the rest of my life kwin5 and would prefer to still have it
as kwin. So if co-installable the existing version should be called kwin4.
Same for all the libraries.

Cheers
Martin