No co-installability of plasma 1 and 2

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Nov 26 11:49:58 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 12:23:18 Maximiliano Curia wrote:
> In article <25673324.XNmJUoyzAe at martin-desktop> you wrote:
> > in todays hangout Alex asked whether kwin binary is going to be renamed to
> > kwin5 to make it possible to co-install plasma 1 and plasma 2.
> >
> > My opinion of that is, that we don't need to have things co-installable.
> > After all kde-workspace doesn't provide libraries where it is useful to
> > have them co-installable. It's applications.
>
> What do you mean kde-workspace doesn't provide useful libraries? There are a
> number of third party applications that depend on them.

They shouldn’t be.

Any libraries that are in kde-workspace that are useful enough to be used by
applications should be moved out into their own framework for Frameworks 5.

> I can't predict the future, or how disruptive the change from kde 4 to kf5
> will be for our users. As far as I could see, it shouldn't be, but the gnome
> migration to gnome 3, the fallback support drop, etc, has brought new kde
> users and some heartfillings about migrations, so making it as smooth as
> possible will probably pay of.

We are all working to make the transition as smooth as possible. There are
limits, however, and personally I’d rather have Frameworks 5 + Plasma 2 as an
upgrade rather than a co-installable. We don’t officially support co-installing
4.10 and 4.11 either, for instance.