Semi-modal sidebar paradigm

Kai Uwe Broulik kde at privat.broulik.de
Mon Nov 4 18:55:48 UTC 2013

Hi,

> it’s a very neat idea.
Really love it, too. And the blur effect is gorgeous!

> something that would also be interesting to experiment with in kwin is a
> special presentation mode for such elements. if it could be done with enough
> performance/fluidity, it could be quite nice to “shove” the whole desktop
> over a bit and show the semi-modal window in the resulting gap .. very much
> like how the drawers work in Plasma Active applications.
Definitely like the idea. Would love to see that for the notification
shade/history, too. (OSX *hint hint*) Give it more room and allow for bigger,
richer and more interactive notifications. Think of chatting or quickly
responding to a mail in a side panel and not interrupt your workflow.

Pushing the desktop to the side is definitely nice but due to the lack of
input redirection in an X world, we cannot move all the window over a bit,
too.(?)