Plasma theme cache auto-refresh

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri May 31 10:35:26 UTC 2013

On Friday, May 31, 2013 12:12:11 Kai Uwe Broulik wrote:
> Am Freitag, 31. Mai 2013, 11:40:43 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> > i imagine it would look sth like the attached patch (which builds, but i
> > haven't tested it yet)
>
> Works!

yay! thanks for testing.

i have one reservation, and that is that KSharedDataCache can auto-discard
entries. which means this version entry could get popped out
undeterministically, resulting in an unecessary dropping of the cache.

the version number could be encoded into the filename of the cache. that would
have the interesting effect of making the check completely automatic: change
the version, change the cache.

that creates a new issue: stale caches left laying around. so if the cache is
empty (at which point we can assume it is a new cache) or, alternatively, if
the cache file does not exist, checking for other cache files for the same theme
but different v# could be done.

accidental name collision should also be taken into consideration. currently
the cache file name is "plasma_theme_" + themeName. with the v# in there it
could be "plasma_theme_" + themeName + versionNumber .. but then a theme
called "myTheme2" would collide with "myTheme" with version 2 ;) so there
needs to be a divider of some sort to avoid that. perhaps "plasma_theme_" +
themeName + "_v_" + versionNumber.

so .. yes, patch needs a bit more work.

on a similar but unrelated note: the wallpaper cache also grows indefinitely.
we probably should introduce an age/use algorithm for dropping cached
wallpapers.