Battery Monitor revamp

Àlex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Tue May 28 10:04:11 UTC 2013

For what is worth (and from the Solid side of things).

Batteries have improved a lot since last time we discussed this issue, back
on the days a high CPU round of 10min would drain huge percentage of the
power in your battery, hence the estimation was really bad. Additionally
the estimation was done in most of the cases in the software side so
calculation was always bogus. Now days the situation has changed though.

Batteries are way smarter than they used to be, even the stupid ones are
kinda smart though. In most laptops sold in the last years you can find
batteries that implement  SBS (Smart Battery System) or similar (there is
another one I can't recall).
Additionally battery capacity has grown a lot while cpu power requirements
have decreased (specially since Intel Sandy Bridge) so a CPU pike of 10mins
will not affect that much the estimation time (and systems like SBS are
smart enough to prevent that).

Maybe usability wise showing the remaining time is not recommendable or it
is confusing, but technically the situation has clearly changed and the
remaining time can now be shown accurately.

Cheerz.