[RFC] Moving Wishlist Items to Brainstorm

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sat May 25 06:58:49 UTC 2013

Hi all,

based on yesterdays discussion with Aaron about the bugtracker I want to
provide a few suggestions on how we can start to clean up the bugtracker and
get it into a workable state again.

My first suggestion is to move from now on all "wishes" to
brainstorm.forum.kde.org. Bugzilla is quite unsuited for feature requests as
we don't have any way to figure out whether the feature is just a one users
dream concert or a valid need. Brainstorm allows to filter out the bad
requests. The only indication we have is the voting feature and that is well
not very useful.

For KWin I use the following template when we get a new feature request:
> Thank you for your feature suggestion. Unfortunately bugzilla is not the
> best place to discuss feature requests. We hardly have any users here, so we
> don't get an evaluation whether the feature is needed.
>
> We therefore recommend to use http://brainstorm.forum.kde.org to suggest
> this idea. Users are able to up/down-vote the feature request and by that we
> get an idea whether it's something our users wish to see and whether it is
> worth to invest time into it.
>
> If the feature request is supported on brainstorm it will automatically be
> recreated here in the bug tracker. Given that I'm marking this feature
> request as WONTFIX for now. This has nothing to do with whether we think
> this is a good or bad feature request.
>
> I'm very sorry that our software does not allow to send users to brainstorm
> in the first place.

This is something easily doable from now on.

Now the more difficult topic as it involves the existing database: closing all
existing wishlist items. In my opinion if we agree on using brainstorm the
logical consequence is to close also all existing feature requests. That's
again something I did for KWin just with a difference. For KWin we were able to
look at each feature request and give a reason on why the feature request
doesn't make sense.

I had a look at whether Plasma devs use the wishlist reports. So here are some
stats:
* 1137 open reports
* 123 reports were not touched over the last four years
* 385 reports were not touched over the last three years
* 591 reports were not touched over the last two years
* 22 reports got fixed over the last year
* 6 reports got fixed by a commit over the last year

Given that I think we can safely assume that having those wishlist items is
not useful. The question I cannot answer is whether to automatically close all
reports or just those not touched for n years? This is something the Plasma
devs have to tell me whether they think there is anything useful in the still
open reports.

Things to agree on:
1. Send users to brainstorm when creating a wishlist item from now on
2. Close existing wishlist items
2a) how many items to close

If we agree on 2 I will prepare a message, but will need a native speaker to
cross-read it. And we need sysadmins to do the closing otherwise they will be
unhappy because we kill the mail server ;-)

Cheers
Martin