Default activity naming issues

Djuro Drljaca djurodrljaca at gmail.com
Sat May 18 09:25:50 UTC 2013

Hello,

@Ivan: no, you are wrong :P

What I was thinking of is something like this:
1) you create an activity and configure it to what you want its "default"
state (or lets call it "snapshot") to look like
2) you make a snapshot
3) you do some "work" and decide to clone/copy/move the current state to a
new activity
4) the "default" activity could then:
4.a) stay as it it
4.b) get restored to the "snapshot" state

Another use case for what I suggested is this:
1) you create an activity and configure it to what you want its "default"
state (or lets call it "snapshot") to look like
2) you make a snapshot
3) you do some "work" and when you finish, you restore the activity to the
"snapshot" state

I would just like to say (again) that I (currently) don't actually use
activities so I don't know what is already possible and what not.

Regarding multiple snapshot idea ... it might be a little too much for
(most) users and I suspect that they would get easily confused. Also the
GUI for managing that would easily become a lot more complicated.

Regarding:
"... we'll have a similar situation to the current one - we will have a lot
of users who have no idea about what they can do :)"

I consider myself to be an advanced desktop user and I don't see how anyone
that is not directly working on activities code could even get something
useful out of it.

There is very little written about activities in the "media". I have been
reading KDE related blogs from even before KDE 4.0 was released and I don't
remember reading anything about activities that would actually help a
"normal" user. I am not saying that activities aren't useful I am just
saying that I (and probably most of KDE users) don't know how to improve
their "user experience" with activities. Of course I could be wrong about
this...

Why activities are useful for a "normal" user is IMO not really obvious
from the GUI.

I haven't had the opportunity to use KDE desktop for work for more than 3
years (probably they weren't even implemented at that time yet) and I have
been using my desktop at home mostly for internet, as a "media player" and
also for a little programming (when I find the time and a good hobby
project :) ). With my use case I probably don't even need activities or at
least this is what I think with my limited knowledge activities.

This (probably) off topic part of my email might be useful for activities
developers to also start thinking (more?) about how they could present the
benefits of using activities to users who aren't using them (for whatever
reason) :)

Regards,
Djuro Drljaca