kde-workspace and plasma2

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue May 14 18:25:58 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 16:58:10 Marco Martin wrote:
> the library/shell and scriptengine parts are growing to have the features
> needed to have a complete shell. but for me is a bit different to do it
> "blindly", i find a bit difficult to work on a framework without making at
> the same time something that is using that framework, that's probably a
> methodology bug (of which i can easily see some quality issues coming out

You're right that until kde-workspace is fully ported we won't know for
certain if anything is missing from plasma-frameworks. However, given that
we're not starting from complete zero, we know that it has at least most of
what we need, if not everything.

It is fine imho to port a few things in kde-workspace to test the new shell.
That was the point of sebas' branch as far as I understood it. So porting the
two wallpapers in there is not a bad idea. This should be easily mergable
later on as those components really don't get much work anymore as they are
pretty much "done".

Even porting a few of the plasmoids wouldn't be the worst of ideas. (I expect
the icon one to be interesting ...) Not everything needs to be ported right
now, however, especially not components that get frequent activity.

And what I really don't want to see is the whole repository turned upside down
right now. Let's keep sebas' branch focused on a minimal set of ported
components to test the new shell with.