kde-workspace and plasma2

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue May 14 14:58:10 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 14 May 2013 15:28:27 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday, May 13, 2013 15:10:41 Marco Martin wrote:
> > * a kded that says what formfactor we are running on
> > in the end the plasma part of kde-workspace should look like
> > http://community.kde.org/Plasma/KdeWorkspaceRepoStructure
> > (at least so was discussed in nuremberg)
>
> this is currently in the plasma-framework repository in the
> kded_platformstatus branch. it is part of the runtime (applications will
> also want it), and as such i put it there. i'll merge it into master as
> nobody seems to notice it in the branch which means i'm the only one who
> has tried it at all :)

no, i didn't (i assumed it was in workspace, sorry)

> > I would propose to make the branch
> > plasma/sebas/desktop-qml-plasma2
> > that is now hosting the desktop containment and the toolboxes to host the
>
> if you saw that branch in the repo, would you ever guess that this is the
> general PW2 porting branch? i doubt it :)
>
> i'm very much *against* branching kde-workspace for PW2 before 4.11 is out.
> for one thing, it means having to forward-port all commits made in kde-
> workspace between now and 4.11 (which won't happen, knowing how people are).
>
> you want to have the image wallpaper ported, and you can do it in sebas'
> branch (or make another branch, but i don't see any purpose to that)

ok, i'll put it there

> as for changing the source tree layout in kde-workspace ... i don't
> understand why you and sebas keep pushing for us to do that as if that is
> the next important thing on our roadmap.

ok, yes, i can see why it probably does not make sense to di it now, since it
may cause problems later indeed.

now, short explanation of the reason for this hurry we had.

the library/shell and scriptengine parts are growing to have the features
needed to have a complete shell. but for me is a bit different to do it
"blindly", i find a bit difficult to work on a framework without making at the
same time something that is using that framework, that's probably a
methodology bug (of which i can easily see some quality issues coming out of).

Ie to see if on the lower level we have everything we need to have a complete
containment, or a complete toolbox, or a wallpaper with a c++ part (we still
need everything of the image wallpaper that is not painting that does things
like the models, the randomization of the slideshow and such, and yeah, i
pretty much finished the porting to a qml import)

so i wanted to have some real code to see what we still need on the shell
side.
For git history purposes seemed to make more sense to do this stuff in kde-
workspace, but then of course causes the problems you outlined.

As to how to proceed, i can see various ways, like a small repo that would
then merged back in kde-worspace, or:

Pausing the work on "real" components like the containment and the image
wallpapers and using instead only components in plasma-framework that are
dummy and intended to stay dummy. This way ensures most of the work atually
goes in the framework, even tough risks to make the dummy components quite
big, almost as real... but in general plugins such as applets, containments
and wallpapers should stay pretty much at the level of "visual testcase"

> please do not try and rush this. let's do it right, and do a little
> planning. there is no "this has to be done yesterday" rush. i don't want to
> put up with people yelling at us (or: me) because we do a slap-dash job of
> migrating kde- workspace to frameworks.

ok, so now i'll move the work on the toolbox and the image wallpaper i did in
sebas/desktop-qml-plasma2 branch and then it'll stay there frozen until will
be time to restart work on kde-workspace porting.

Cheers,
Marco Martin