networkmanagement plasmoid

Lukáš Tinkl ltinkl at redhat.com
Thu Mar 28 11:52:24 UTC 2013

Dne 27.3.2013 20:49, Aaron J. Seigo napsal(a):
> hi ...
>
> I just read about the progress being made on the new QML based Network
> Management plasmoid. I'm very happy to see development happening, especially
> as it means that that Lamarque is not on his own here.
>
> When are you planning on bringing discussion of this development to the
> plasma-devel at kde.org mailing list?
>
> It appears that current development is focused on desktop usage with a mouse,
> which will be a challenge for usage in non-desktop form factors, and there are
> some oddities in, for instance, the metadata.desktop file.
>
> It is very difficult to know what sort of feedback and participation is desired,
> needed, helpful, etc. when development happens quietly away from everyone else
> who is working on workspace things.
>
> Cheers ...

Hi Aaron & co.,
we definitely don't want to stay away from other plasma developers, our
effort started like 3 weeks ago at the RH & Fedora developer conference.
We were talking with other RH guys about the challenges and problems in
the current NM plasmoid, its huge and unmaintainable codebase and came
to the conclusion that writing something from scratch might be a better
idea for the long term. Actually, we didn't initially think we could get
it in a usable state in such a short time ;)

The problem with the current design is that the implementation is spread
across several (3 or 4) layers of abstraction (some of them even in
kde-workspace or kde-runtime), making additions to functionality or even
simple bugfixes very difficult.
The current implementation uses only the new libnm-qt and libmm-qt (thin
wrappers around NM and MM libraries), making it far easier to add
features or simply keep pace with upstream NM/MM development.
On the other hand, we definitely intend to reuse existing plasmoid's
code where it makes sense (VPN plugins, mobile broadband wizard, etc).

So here we are, the code is in the plasma-nm git repo, we're looking
forward to your input :)

You can read more on the current state of things here in this blog post:
http://grulja.wordpress.com/2013/03/27/plasma-nm-preview/

--
Lukáš Tinkl <ltinkl at redhat.com>
Software Engineer - KDE desktop team, Brno