[plasma-framework] /: Revert "Enabling C++11 flags for clang and gcc"

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Jun 28 18:52:59 UTC 2013

On Friday, June 28, 2013 13:08:49 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> Just to clarify: It's not a "no-no" to using C++11, it's to make sure we're
> able to build without them.

We have no interest in trying to maintain a build that does not require C++11.
There are too many useful features that we can take advantage of and the
overhead of working around such issues and / or having multiple compile-time
paths is not of interest to us.

I understand that this may not be desirable for libraries such as kdecore and
other such tier 1 or 2 libraries .. but for frameworks so high up in the
hierarchy as plasma, I don't see the benefit.

> Is there a point of using libplasma2 out of the shell?

Yes, as evidenced by the KPart in use by various 4.x based applications.

Now, I have 2 specific issues with what happened here that have nothing to do
with technology:

a) a decision for "no C++11" was apparently made  .. somewhere. It overruled
our own desires and plans (though of us actually working on the code). Where
can I reference the implications of this?

(I ask because if they are not severe and Frameworks is all about being able
to build on shitty old compilers on every platform known to man then perhaps
plasma does not belong as an official part of that effort)

b) Your approach was to revert a commit. Honestly, if it wasn't someone I know
well and respect, I would not have waited for Ivan to send an email; rather, I
would have sent you a chastising email the minute I saw the commit (which was
immediately after you had push it) and reverted your revert. That is now how
we work in plasma. If there is a problem, we discuss it. Then, if we come to
it, we revert. Revert-first leads to more problems and arguments than it ever
resolves, and I expect people who have been around these parts as long as you
have to know that. Please do not revert without discussion again.