[plasma-framework] /: Revert "Enabling C++11 flags for clang and gcc"

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Fri Jun 28 12:58:24 UTC 2013

On Friday 28 June 2013 07:33:43 Shaun Reich wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 7:08 AM, Kevin Ottens <ervin at kde.org> wrote:

> >> This request [1] got a green light by Aaron [2] and Martin [3].
> >
> > Just to clarify: It's not a "no-no" to using C++11, it's to make sure
> > we're
> > able to build without them.
> >
> >> We could set it only for the shell, and not for the whole repository.
> >
> > Is there a point of using libplasma2 out of the shell? Just wondering,
> > could impact the decision.
> >
> > Assuming the answer to the question above is yes, then it could be a
> > compromise indeed. *But* in that case the build of the shell would have to
> > be automatically disabled when building without C++11 available.
>
> What's the issue here?

We want to make KDE Frameworks as reusable as possible. Ideally, everywhere Qt
can be present KDE Frameworks should be able to be present as well. That means
we have to deal with compilers with no or partial support for C++11. BTW, they
all have partial support... just happens that they lack different parts of the
standard.

> Isn't the point of a dependency (on C++11) to make it required?

Well, we have required and optional dependencies. C++11 is not special in that
regard, we can make it either required or optional.

> /me definitely thinks we should be moving forward on this front,

Sure, I personally welcome more uses of C++11 everywhere it makes sense. So in
Applications and Workspaces I think it makes sense to start using it sooner
than later so that distros are pushed toward it (although that raises the
question of portability for applications, the ones targetting Microsoft
Windows too might want to carefully pick which part of the standard they use).
For Frameworks, the strategy has to be different: let's make sure they're
working on a wide-range of platform and then you get extra goodies if C++11 is
available, much better incentive in that area.

> especially since the main compilers are feature complete now (clang
> has excellent support for it).

In fact, currently gcc 4.8 is the one with the best C++11 support... but again
systems with different compilers are in the scope of KDE Frameworks.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net