theme.smallIconSize vs theme.iconSizes.small

Kai Uwe Broulik kde at privat.broulik.de
Thu Jun 13 13:55:29 UTC 2013

Hi,

playing around with the new tasks widget I saw that it does not adapt to my
small icon size setting which I have set higher because of my high-dpi screen.
Now it seems that icon sizes in Plasma theme are fixed in the theme. Is there
some sort of dpi scaling mechanism or how can this be made future-proof?

I don't like using KIconLoader IconSize arbitrarily anywhere either but they
are at least user-configurable. My dream would of course be a dpi-independent
UI but how can we improve this situation without messing up people's layouts
and code? Have the theme icon size based on 96 and scaling depending on screen
DPI and/or font DPI? I've seen there's some units thing in Plasma that does
such sort of magic.

Best,
Kai Uwe