Animate style hint

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Jun 12 10:08:20 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, June 12, 2013 11:55:47 Martin Graesslin wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 June 2013 10:39:17 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > i seriously think most people[1] who "don't like animations" should get
> > over it. i can't imagine how they survive in the real world where
> > everything is "animated"
>
> I completely agree with everything Aaron wrote but just want to point out
> that  it would be super awesome if we could disable the animations in PW2
> in case of llvmpipe. This could turn the system from "unusable" to "don't
> notice". Best that would be added directly to Qt, though and I just at the
> moment fail to see how one could implement this.

Maybe we should define animation durations in Plasma::Theme (short of any
better idea). For example:

theme.shortAnimation: Use for small elements, for example a glow on a button
theme.mediumAnimation: Use for non-full screen animations, for example a text
bubble popping up
theme.longAnimation: Use for fullscreen transitions on the screen

Of course, these would be used by the animations in PlasmaExtras, and we'd
encourage developers to also use them in their apps.

Lightweight solution: Introduce a "animationsdisabled" property somewhere, and
at least adjust the duration of our animations shipped in PlasmaExtras.

Thoughts?
--
sebas