Animate style hint

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jun 12 08:39:17 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, June 12, 2013 10:02:28 Kai Uwe Broulik wrote:
> user doesn't want them. That's one thing that always bothered me that
> Plasma always animates no matter what the system settings were. I have had

this should mostly be supported in the standard components. plugging every bit
of code with "if (animate) then" type snippets is going to be ugly and
fragile. as such would much rather see this done in the underlying layer as
much as possible.

when libplasma provided its own animations, guess what they did? yep, they
didn't animate when the desktop settings were set to turn animations off.
shocking! this in turn used a setting that was introduced years before in
kdelibs for such things.

problems:

* people who complain about these things rarely if ever put in any effort
* it's something that bothers a tiny % of people, while the vast majority of
people are *aided* by animations

put together, it means we have a feature set that gets zero testing and has
approximately as many developers who care about it.

so unless one of these animation haters steps up to maintain the features, i
will happily say 'no' to patches which introduce such things.

i seriously think most people[1] who "don't like animations" should get over
it. i can't imagine how they survive in the real world where everything is
"animated"

[1] i say most because i'm sure someone somewhere out there has a legitimate
disability that somehow comes into play