crasher in Qt

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Jun 11 09:18:31 UTC 2013

On Monday, April 29, 2013 16:46:12 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Current tip of Qt5's dev branch crashes with Plasma Frameworks, hitting an
> ASSERT in qquicktextedit.cpp. I've filed a bug against Qt, so it's on the
> radar of those who are hopefully able to fix it.
>
> In the meantime, if you're working on plasma-framework, move
> qt5/qtdeclarative  and git checkout 7148a79775e31eb, make, make install to
> avoid the crash.
>
> The corresponding upstream bug report can be found at:
> https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-30925

Quick update:

The crash still happens with the current dev branch. On the upside, it has a
test case now and is prioritized "critical" for 5.1, so from a bureaucratic
point of view, it will hopefully get fixed. (I've looked at the patch
introducing it, but didn't get very far -- it's a 3000+ LOC monster which
optimizes all kinds of aspects in qquicktextedit.cpp. It's also not easily
reversible on top of dev's HEAD. For now, I've disabled our usage of TextArea
in the plasma2 test code, which let's it at least not crash. Will be re-
enabled once the Qt bug is fixed -- I'll keep an eye on that.

sebas