plasma components outside of a plasma package / GSoC

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Jul 25 14:25:33 UTC 2013

<michael.bohlender at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am using plasma components outside of a plasma package in kmail-mobile
> > and some components don't get displayed / themed correctly.
> >
> > # PageRow: bordershadows not visible
> >
> > "
> > file:///opt/kde4/lib/kde4/imports/org/kde/plasma/extras/PageRow.qml:316:13
> > :
> > QML QDeclarativeImage_QML_25: Failed to get image from provider:
> > image://appbackgrounds/shadow-right "
>
> Try importing org.kde.plasma.extras in that file, this will make the
> image://backgrounds url work.
>
> I imported  org.kde.plasma.extras as PlasmaExtras  already (to get
> PlasmaExtras.PageRow)
>
> > # ListItem: not 3D is like I expected them to be with the air-mobile theme
>
> Have you verified it works? If it is fine in other themes, don't worry about
> it.
>
> What I wanted to say is the ListItem looks like it is not styled at all but
> that was because of my bad monitor from a different viewing angle it looks
> like it is transparent-white. always. so I assume it does not pick up the
> theme that was set on the desktop so I need to set the theme manually when
> starting the app? How can I do that ? Could you point me to an example app
> that is using plasma components but not a plasma package?

The theme has nothing to do with wether you're using a package or not.

Try with the oxygen theme in order to verify that a list item svg is actually
used. If it is, you're fine. (Which means: if you're not fine, you'll have to
change the theme, but usually you shouldn't.)

> What are the advantages of having the app  UI in a plasma package other then
> a clean and well structured project folder?

This way, other apps can use it easily.
--
sebas