Plans and status Frameworks5, Plasma2, Qt5 and Wayland

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Jan 17 14:17:09 UTC 2013

On Thursday, January 17, 2013 12:04:25 Daniel Nicoletti wrote:
> I don't know if this is off topic or no, but some
> people said to me there won't be a KDE 5
> naming, I dunno if this is true or not, but
> if this is true I missed the discussion.
>
> Could someone clarify this to me?

That's true.

Explanation: KDE is the name of the community. We don't version people.

Our products are Plasma Desktop, Digikam, Calligra, Dolphin, etc., those get
versioned.

So it would be correct to say "Plasma Desktop 4" or even "KDE Plasma Desktop
4" (to indicate it's made by KDE).

More info: http://dot.kde.org/2009/11/24/repositioning-kde-brand

We have not yet planned a Plasma Desktop 5 or Plasma Workspaces 5, the plans
laid out in my attached document might lead to that, however. The naming is
not yet decided upon.

Hope that clarifies,
--
sebas