Thoughts about a better Quality Management process for Plasma

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Jan 14 16:11:31 UTC 2013

On Monday 14 January 2013 16:24:28 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > Whoever is maintainer of a component, should become the
> > default assignee for bugs in that component. No longer a one address for
> > all assignee.
>
> i think the maintainer should be added as a default CC, but if each
> component goes to a single person's inbox, then it means we rely on them to
> watch it. it also means that when maintainers change, we have to go through
> and change ownership of tons of bugs .. meh.
you are lacking knowledge about some bugzilla features :-)
* add a default CC - just because the bugs go to one person, doesn't mean we
cannot have the existing address as a CC, so bugs won't get lost
* search features of bugzilla: you really don't want to use the inbox to watch
for bugs. It's not like it used to be. Our bko search is damn fast nowadays.
And you can save your searches you need often
* Change multiple bugs at once: if a maintainer changes it's just the correct
query, change the assignee, click save. Process of max five minutes (note: I
use this feature to move bugs to different target milestones. It is easy).

> i think it also discourages participation by people other than the
> maintainer: all the bugs are already assigned to someone, after all.
I can understand your reasoning. But how often does it happen that someone
from the non core dev team goes to the bug tracker to pick a bug to work on?
And inside the team it doesn't matter - everybody knows how to read the
assignee state.

I really would like to have the person set on it, as I hope that this
increases the feeling of being responsible for it. Instead of an anonymous
mailing list it becomes a person.