4.10 reflection summary

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jan 14 15:54:10 UTC 2013

hi...

i hope i capture all the feedback below, if i missed something, please say so
in a reply to this email :)

Question: how do you think 4.10 went?

Answers: Consensus seems to be that some good things were done, but few, if
any of us, were truly satisfied with the 4.10 cycle.

Commentary: This is not the most wonderful news, but it is wonderful we can
state it openly as a group and use it as motivation to move forward.

Question: What do you feel are the "defining" accomplishments for the desktop
workspace in 4.10? (e.g. the positive things people will talk about when they
get 4.10) .. and ... What do you personally like about the results of 4.10?

Answers:
* lots of mentions of QML progress. consensus appears to be that we're on the
"right" track with this
* artwork
* some cool new features, such as appmenu integration, that probably could use
some additional exposure in future releases as they mature

Commentary: So we accomplished things we're all happy with. That's great, as
it definitely reminds us things are in any way completely broken down and are
still doing great things. :)

Question: What did you not like about the 4.10 development cycle?

Answers: The answer seemed pretty unanimous in that we did not like the lack
of:
* quality control
* lack of bug triage
* coordination between components
* communication.

Commentary: The agreement on this question shows that we experienced this dev
cycle in very similar ways. We have lots of common ground, and that's an
awesome place to start from when trying to make things better.

Question: What would you like to be done the same way in 4.11?

Answers: None. Literally *nobody* answered this question.

Commentary: Perhaps this shows not only how much harder it is to pick out
positives when doing introspection like this, but how little focus we allow
ourselves to have on what we are doing well.

Question: What would you like to be done differently in 4.11?

Answers: Various suggestions included
* get more developers using master
* get more users trying out pre-releases (work with distros for this)
* develop a realistic and effective strategy for handling bugs.kde.org
* get maintainers for all, or at least *more*, components. this implies more
maintainers over all.
* have "super" / "release" maintainers to compliment the efforts of component
maintainers:
	* ensuring there are active maintainers (e.g. noticing when one is gone)
	* ensuring needed communication happens between component teams (shadows
being a great example of where that didn't happen)
	* ensuring the "big picture" goals are seeing progress