XDpms in screenlocker

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Jan 13 18:22:09 UTC 2013

On Sunday, January 13, 2013 13:55:54 Thomas Lübking wrote:
> ** please keep me in CC **
>
> While stepping across the ksmserver/screenlocker/greeter/* code i noticed
> that there's (intended) support to show the screensaver on pressing esc,
> but no equivalent to re/activate dmps (DPMSForceLevel, "xdpms force off")

ha! i was JUST looking at this right now and came to kontact to send an almost
*identical* email.

> Should there be (and i don't point Frameworks here):
> - an extension to the powerdevil workspace lib API (which will either make
> use of the Dpms lib or call xdpms internally; i don't know, but it's
> configurable through the kcm)
> - a prop. implementation in the locker preferably using
>   * xdpms (pro: runtime resolution. con: we call a different process;
> security flaw) * the Dpms lib (con: compile time dependency)

personally, i'd like to see a PowerDevil call as it means we keep all the code
handling this exact feature in *one* place and if/when platform changes under
us we only need to make changes in one place as well.