XDpms in screenlocker

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 12:55:54 UTC 2013

** please keep me in CC **

While stepping across the ksmserver/screenlocker/greeter/* code i noticed that there's (intended) support to show the screensaver on pressing esc, but no equivalent to re/activate dmps (DPMSForceLevel, "xdpms force off")

I've failed to find resp. API in powerdevil (and don't at hand know what it does or whether that is important)

Should there be (and i don't point Frameworks here):
- an extension to the powerdevil workspace lib API (which will either make use of the Dpms lib or call xdpms internally; i don't know, but it's configurable through the kcm)
- a prop. implementation in the locker preferably using
  * xdpms (pro: runtime resolution. con: we call a different process; security flaw)
  * the Dpms lib (con: compile time dependency)

Cheers,
Thomas