reflecting on 4.10

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Jan 12 17:54:23 UTC 2013

On Saturday, January 12, 2013 18:29:22 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> In the recent past, we have had people giving "ship it" in reviewboard to
> code that was not maintained by them and what is worst modifications that
> broke (or still breaks) stuff, we should prevent this from happening.

we already generally follow maintainence responsibilities in reviews (e.g.
kwin reviews are pretty well always stamped ShipIt by kwin devs; there's one
going through this process right now, in fact)

however, i don't agree that we should discourage broad participation as a few
things happen when we do:

* it becomes easier to have reviews drop on the ground as we wait
patiently/blindly for maintainers (we have dozens of components in kde-
workspace)

* fewer people take an active interest in the code because they aren't ever
reviewing anything, so what should motivate them?

* some idividual maintainers end up with more than their share of reviews and
end up with little time for anything else if not careful (i sometimes spend
entire days doing only patch review..)

* we do have components that are under- or simply un-maintained .. then what?
:)

i don't agree that more careful review will catch significantly more issues
than are already found out as many breakages will not show up to those doing
initial testing.

so i'd like to see *more* reviewboard input rather than less. and it's one
thing i love about feature and bug fix branches going into integration: it lets
people thumbs-up the review request without any implications for master

ShipIt would no longer mean the changeset goes into master, but schedule it
for merge into the integration branch. in theory, more people will be testing
integration than looking at the initial review, which will catch breakage that
currently sometimes makes its way straight into master.