reflecting on 4.10

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Jan 11 12:08:03 UTC 2013

On Thursday 10 January 2013 22:05:28 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hello.
>
> we're nearly at the point of releasing 4.10. with this development cycle
> very fresh in mind, it is a reasonble time to reflect on how it went. this
> thread can be a place for us to do so, if we so wish. and i hope we do so
> that we can improve our processes in the future.
>
> so how do you think 4.10 went?
Personally I am not really happy with what I achieved in 4.10. Overall I also
think that 4.10 is not a good release (overall KDE, not workspace in
particular).

> what do you feel are the "defining" accomplishments for the desktop
> workspace in 4.10? (e.g. the positive things people will talk about when
> they get 4.10 on their machines)
at the state where we are I hope nothing. All the changes with QML should be
unnoticed if we have done them *right*.

My personal highlight is the menu in windeco, but that is so hidden, that I
don't expect users will find it.

Apart from that we have two visual things our users will notice:
* the new lock screen
* the new maximize window effect

> what do you personally like about the results of 4.10?
see first answer

> what, if anything, did you not like about the 4.10 development cycle?
Quality management. The regressions were noticed too late in the cycle and we
were not really professional (all over KDE) in addressing them. The bug
reports increased by 236 to an unmanagble 1141 bugs over the last 180 days
(KWin is as of today at +-0). I got the feeling nobody cares about the bugs
and did not report any - even if I saw them.

I think with the development as in this cycle we are far away from having an
always releasable master.

The bug handling on Plasma has never been really good, but this cycle it was
in my opinion worse. Yes Plasma is larger than KWin (by SLOC in kde-workspace
KWin is in fact larger than Plasma), but we are also more people who could
work on it.

> what, if anything, would you like to be done the same way in 4.11?
tricky question. Somehow it's always difficult to notice the positive things.
I will spend more time on that one and reply later.

Very positive I found the development of Plasmate.

> what, if anything, would you like to be done differently in 4.11?
QM! If other people are also interested in this I would send a dedicated mail
with some ideas/suggestion I have how we could try to improve our process.

Cheers
Martin