krunner qml

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 18:55:06 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 7:10 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thursday, January 10, 2013 17:49:48 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
>> Am 2013-01-10 16:07, schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
>> > on that note, startup stuff should probably move into kwin since it
>> > also
>> > provides the visual effect for it. it's probably also more future
>> > proof with
>> > Wayland's security model coming at us in the future... dunno what
>> > Martin G.
>> > thinks about that idea?
>>
>> when I started to read the mail, I wanted to click reply with "what
>> about moving the startup feedback completely to KWin", then decided to
>> read the mail to the end first ;-)
>
> ha! good, we agree on this point then and i'll move the startup handling into
> kwin itself (might have some questions for you as i do so ..); you can expect
> a review request on that for 4.11.
>
>> For the startup feedback we might also consider to just drop the
>> non-composited mode and call it a day.
>
> i agree. this will be a small gregression for usability on non-composited
> systems, but i don't see it as a REQUIREMENT feature. given how compositing
> works on more and more systems that are actually in use better and better i
> cast my vote in favour of making this feature compositing-only so we have one
> less code path to test.
>
>> I think Fredrik started to work
>> on an improved effect [1] and well our bouncing cursor is not really
>> that modern...
>
> while a number of people really like the bouncy icon, i think we can refresh
> it with some more modern and beautiful while keeping the "eye candy" that
> people seem to respond to. i don't think anyone will miss the bouncy icon if
> its replacement is beautiful.

-- just some random thoughts on that bouncy icon
Let the icon "explode" in with a shockwave/blastwave shader and add
particle effects to it that constantly emit till the icon is gone.
When the icon is about to go, run some more fancy cool animations :-)
That will certainly give quite a first impression for new KDE users
^_-