krunner qml

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jan 10 18:10:40 UTC 2013

On Thursday, January 10, 2013 17:49:48 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> Am 2013-01-10 16:07, schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> > on that note, startup stuff should probably move into kwin since it
> > also
> > provides the visual effect for it. it's probably also more future
> > proof with
> > Wayland's security model coming at us in the future... dunno what
> > Martin G.
> > thinks about that idea?
>
> when I started to read the mail, I wanted to click reply with "what
> about moving the startup feedback completely to KWin", then decided to
> read the mail to the end first ;-)

ha! good, we agree on this point then and i'll move the startup handling into
kwin itself (might have some questions for you as i do so ..); you can expect
a review request on that for 4.11.

> For the startup feedback we might also consider to just drop the
> non-composited mode and call it a day.

i agree. this will be a small gregression for usability on non-composited
systems, but i don't see it as a REQUIREMENT feature. given how compositing
works on more and more systems that are actually in use better and better i
cast my vote in favour of making this feature compositing-only so we have one
less code path to test.

> I think Fredrik started to work
> on an improved effect [1] and well our bouncing cursor is not really
> that modern...

while a number of people really like the bouncy icon, i think we can refresh
it with some more modern and beautiful while keeping the "eye candy" that
people seem to respond to. i don't think anyone will miss the bouncy icon if
its replacement is beautiful.