plasma and new shadow mess

Weng Xuetian wengxt at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 13:47:28 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 7:35 AM, Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:

> On Monday 24 December 2012 17:12:22 Weng Xuetian wrote:
> > I think some action need to be taken before the release, some possible
> > solutions.
> > 1. Revert the changes of new plasma air theme, so old shadow can be used.
> > and try to fix all the things in KDE 4.11
> Personal opinion: the change should be reverted, as:
> a) it was basically a break of public API (yes even if it is not considered
> public API, the fact that everybody used it, makes it public API)
> b) there is no need for a break now with KF 5 in front of us, we could have
> used that to do the break

c) it causes unnecessary work for everybody

Revert the code will also cause too much problem now IMHO.. revert the
theme change thus we can use the old air which will reduce the impact to
least. I don't think 3rd party theme would use this new shadow feature this
soon.

> > or 2. get some header exposed to avoid duplication of the code, and fixed
> > every custom widget, at least including: kwin, kmix, powerdevil,
> icontasks.
> at least for KWin I will *not* accept a fix for 4.10. It's too late in the
> cycle, it cannot be exposed to user testing any more. I rather have a
> visual
> regression than the risk of breakage.
>
> Personally, I strongly dislike any kinds of visual regression/artifacts,
people in KDE have already done a great job for improving KDE SC, while
small visual problems always make KDE look much less polished and
half-bake, and I guess this is also what the extra mile project for.