[RFC] Invite Razor-Qt to next Workspaces Sprint

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sun Feb 17 07:55:38 UTC 2013

On Sunday 17 February 2013 02:08:57 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday, February 16, 2013 16:54:03 Martin Graesslin wrote:
> >  I wouldn't call KDE Plasma lightweight
>
> indeed; those 1Ghz ARM cpus with 512MB of RAM running it are just *beasts*
> of the modern age I tell you. ;)
>
> razorqt may be lighter still (i haven't looked, but i can imagine all sorts
> of ways of making a lighter system), but let's keep some perspective here.
notice: I put the first lightweight into "" ;-)

Personal assumption is that it's users don't like Plasma because we:
* pull in Akonadi
* which pulls in MySQL
* and pulls in Nepomuk
* which pulls in Virtuoso

and there's no way denying that those pieces of the stack (even if much better
now) have not been anything like lightweight. And it doesn't help that it's
all optional in Plasma, users don't care about that.
> > Personally I would like to get razor on the long road into the KDE
> > community. I would love to see razor being hosted on our infrastructure
> > and
>
> hosting and sharing technology indeed makes sense.
>
> as Marco noted this next sprint is going to be focused on the libplasma-and-
> friends code, but as long as that isn't going to be completely
> uninteresting for them it'd be great to have some of razorqt devs there.
we need of course to point that out

> > That is whenever a user complains about Plasma we can suggest
> > them to use razor.
>
> having a multiplicity of options for people to choose from is fine. ensuring
> that the messaging does not become confusing would need to be cared for,
> but that's not hard.
>
> that said, i'd also like to think we can address valid issues rather than
> just push them off to someone else's pile.
Of course, though I don't think we can make everybody happy and we should not
strive for it. Let's put it different: I prefer internal competition and
competition with a Qt based desktop over LXDE/XFCE ;-)

Cheers
Martin