QML Placces design discussion

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Wed Feb 13 12:56:47 UTC 2013

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 13:44:31 +0100, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 February 2013 06:43:47 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
>> pager
>> >
>> > erm no, I'm using virtual desktops but not a pager
>>
>> This sounds like an advanced-user setup. I would expect advanced
>> users
>> would know how to either run the kcm with kcmshell or run the pager
>> applet with `plasma-windowed pager`.
> Actually I see the pager as a relict from the time when we did not
> have
> desktop grid. It's not really an advanced user setup, but I just find
> the
> pager completely useless. I had had the pager quite long and dropped
> it when I
> realized that I don't use it, because I only use desktop grid.

For what its worth, my use of the pager applet is as an indicator of
which
desktop I am on. I switch with shortcuts, but I like to glance at the
applet to know where I am.

>> Either that, or one could show a KMessageWidget in the KCM if there
>> are
>> no pager applet, with a button offering to add one (assuming the KCM
>> can
>> do this)
> sounds also fine.
>>
>> > and the KCM offers more than pager related stuff, like shortcuts
>> for
>> > switching between VDs and so on.
>>
>> Are you sure about that? It really uses the same KCM: there is a tab
>> define keyboard shortcuts in the applet config.
> yes I wrote (part of) the KCM :-)

Then your KCM must be the one which shows up when you configure virtual
desktops from the applet. Try this:
- open the applet config dialog
- go to "Virtual Desktops" page
- open Systemsettings
- go to "Workspace Behavior"
- go to "Virtual Desktops" page
   You should get a message saying:
   "This configuration section is already opened in Plasma Desktop
Shell"