QML Placces design discussion

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 22:55:39 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 8:06 PM, Shaun Reich <sreich at kde.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:
>>
>> Technical implementation aside: I think that makes absolute sense:
>> * one vd by default
>> * do not show pager for one vd
>> * show pager if user uses more vds
>

> i agree that showing the pager only for on vd is a bit weird. but the issue
> i'd like to address is that if you make the pager invisible and not taking
> up space, then when the user is browsing the widget explorer seeing what he
> can add to the panel, he tries to add the pager widget, wondering what that
> does. but no feedback is given for adding it, and so they add it 10 more
> times.
>
> as mentioned in the rb, i've personally witnessed this happen, and this
> seems to confuse people, because they have no idea they need to go into
> system settings and set the virtual desktop to > 1. if it said so/told them,
> i imagine that would be fine as well.
>

>> Focus on technical implementation: I don't care much and cannot judge it,
>> but
>> my personal vote would be to just drop the pager from the default setup.
>

> I agree on this, since I don't see virtual desktops being used by people
> other than power users. After all, we've got activities and we should be
> focusing/refining on that for the majority of our users.
>
> i think that if we remove it from the default setup, we don't have to worry
> about hiding the pager contents in the 1 vd scenario at all.

Why are you folks discarding my usecase completely? Not even one
comment on it. My usecase is very valid, i'm having it right now as i
type this mail.

Let me state it again.
Imagine you have a setup with 3 "displays". 2 monitors, 1 beamer.
Sometimes some apps decide to open up in my beamer area while the
beamer is off (i guess because i moved the window there at some
earlier time and closed the window in that area). When the pager was
just showing itself with 1 VD it instantly showed me that an app was
opened on the beamer area. One that isn't powered on. Discovering that
and dragging the app back to one of the areas that is powered on is
very convenient to have!

I really think that you guys have a "1 monitor setup" opinion here.
Yes, the pager is utterly useless with just 1 monitor and one VT
because you see all apps on your monitor like you see them in the
pager thus it adds 0 value. That statement is just not true anymore
with more then one monitor.

Don't expect me to put my VD setting on 2, 3 or 4. The bar gets quite
some width with 3 monitors. And having them in rows is also not very
nice to look at.

I'd suggest sticking with how it was and showing the pager. Even if
you have just one VD.