QML Placces design discussion

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Feb 12 15:40:13 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 12 February 2013 15:59:36 Mark wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As requested, posting this on the plasma-devel mailing list.
>
> A little background information otherwise the first few lines are odd.
> With the KDE 4.10 release the places plasmoid is partly recreated in
> QML (much kudos to that!). However, it looks like an "odd" decision
> was made to make the places plasmoid invisible if you only have one
> virtual desktop. I think that's the wrong decision for a couple of
> reasons. (listed below)
you are talking about the "pager", right? In that case the behavior is
actually not new. This is the behavior since the Plasma sprint in the
Netherlands (one? two? years ago).

The idea is that by default we have only one virtual desktop (makes sense
IMHO) and because of that do not want to show the pager (makes also sense
IMHO). But at the same time want to offer the experienced users a normal
virtual desktop experience which only requires adjusting one setting (number
virtual desktops). Based on that the design decision was chosen.

Technical implementation aside: I think that makes absolute sense:
* one vd by default
* do not show pager for one vd
* show pager if user uses more vds

Focus on technical implementation: I don't care much and cannot judge it, but
my personal vote would be to just drop the pager from the default setup.

--
Martin Gräßlin