DataEngines and models

Àlex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Fri Dec 27 17:50:46 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 24 December 2013 20:13:58 Marco Martin wrote:
> for many things yes, but they are not mutually exclusive.
> I see imports more as standalone, high quality,stable api public libraries,
> while dataengines more as q quick mean of data fetching.
Please, DataEngines have given us many issues in KDE4 because they were seen
(I guess) as a quick hack thing, let's stop this.

DataEngines are public api as much as any import the moment you can use them
from any plasmoid. And in contrast from a Model they usually have no
documentation and they are hard to read since you don't have to define the
Roles in the header.

So, if DataEngines are needed (I do not doubt that) let's continue having them
but let's stop pretending they are not public API or that they are meant only
for a quick hack. We don't want hacks do we? :p

Cheers.