Kaffeine's future

Christoph Pfister christophpfister at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 13:10:40 UTC 2013

Hi Mario,

2013/12/9 Mario Fux KDE ML <kde-ml at unormal.org>:
<snip>
> Depending on where you are on this planet I could send you a DVB-S card to
> test and port Kaffeine.
>
> Christoph:
> What do you think of migrating the code and mailing lists (etc.) from
> sourceforge to KDE infrastructure?

As far as I can tell, there's nothing to be done source-wise: The code
is in a KDE extragear repository and it's integrated with ebn, l10n
etc. The mailing lists and the release tarballs are easily relocated
once the future direction is clear ...

> Or would it even make sense to merge Kaffeine with the Plasma Media Center?

Why not? There is a separation between dvb / ui / playback / ... in
the Kaffeine sources, so it should be doable. But such a merge is
still nontrivial and will need adaptations on both sides (time
shifting and configuration stuff comes to my mind). And of course you
should have the equipment to test the code ... Just to be clear what
we are talking about: for example a satellite dish + something like
[1].

[1] http://www.satboy.com/bilder/produkte/gross/100172_b2.png

> Just my 2 Rappen
> Mario