Kaffeine's future

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 11:04:07 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 12:46 PM, pritam.ghanghas at gmail.com <
pritam.ghanghas at gmail.com> wrote:

>> This is the most wanted feature in PMC as of today as there is still no
>> plan of implementation because the developers do not have DVB equipment,
>> plus the only way to get TV in their region is through set-top-boxes whose
>> output is using cables like these
>> http://img.alibaba.com/photo/259155234/3_5mm_Plug_3_RCA_Video_Audio_Cable.jpg. Is that what the DVB/ATSC equipment accept?
>>

> No DVB equipment will take a coaxial cable and software will have to
> control the tuner to tune to different digital channels on it. I am not
> sure how the decryption keys and other things are handled. Generally
> vendors and providers are very opaque and very opensource unfriendly. But
> my exposure to these things have been very limited.

Small correction - DVBs take /only/ (or mostly only) coaxial cable, which
is however not what's on the picture linked above, that is standard
audio-video cable and it's not meant for DVB tuners at all (well, can be,
but it's not how it works).

DVB tuner is either a PCI card or some USB device, to which you plug the
coaxial cable (antenna) and it tunes regularly broadcasted TV (depending on
the DVB spec it's either old analog or digital broadcasting in mpeg2),
effectively replacing the set-top-boxes. Then you have TV on your computer
screen. It's what you find in any normal TV. From my own experience
however, internal DVB tuners (for PCI) catch so much noise from the
surrounding components that the TV signal is mid-low quality. USB might get
you better experience.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer