Looking around and thinking ahead

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Dec 12 14:29:00 UTC 2013

On Thursday, December 12, 2013 15:09:25 Eike Hein wrote:
> On Thursday 12 December 2013 02:26:42 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > In plasma-shell, we have some construction sites as well. Kickoff still
> > feels quite unfinished (some would say broken ;))
>
> I wrote a new menu implementation for KDE 4 recently:

there a 1000 ways to do a launch ‘menu’, and each will be appreciated by
someone out there. give me a menu implementation and i’ll show you someone who
loves it to death and someone who wants to do physical harm to the author.

so i don’t think it makes much sense to toss N of them in a ring and discuss
relative merits.

i’d much rather have a list of goals and then work towards something that
meets them. those goals ought to follow the design purpose of the Plasma 2
desktop shell and should probably not be confined to “how can i launch
applications?”

> http://i.imgur.com/KG2R98u.png

as an aside: this really makes zero sense to have. it requires plasmoid A to
work with plasmoid B in a way that makes lots of assumptions.

drag and drop + SLC should replace these misfeatures entirely.

> "let's have a little smartphone VM in a corner of the screen"

given when kickoff was designed (and by whom/where), this is a folk etymology
of the kickoff UI which bears no resemblance to what actually transpired.

get the motives wrong, learn the wrong lessons.